Wednesday, April 25, 2007

in transit

Sometimes I'm taken over by the urge to move. I don't always know where I'm heading, or what I want to find when I stop, but I just have to go.




"The train moved past the seascape and the jogger, on toward Rhode Island, and I closed my eyes. Exhausted as I was I had a brief new impression: the the world was a place of kids in transit, people like the jogger and Lucy Consalves and that punk from Linville, PA, all of them, inexplicably, bound on excursions that might end up being glorious or stupid or violent, but that certainly moved in a direction away from anything they had ever known. I was one of them, and although I didn't know what direction I was heading in, and had only a faint idea yet of what I was leaving behind, the sense of being in motion was a thrill that made up for a lot. I sat and squeezed my eyes tighter and hoped that it would turn out to be enough for me." -- Sarah Phillips (117)




Posted by nabero @ 1:17 PM

quotable...

"You have to choose the places you don't walk away from"
-Joan Didion

Reading...

Listening...